Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What's better than a BFA show? Feng Shui art final!

What I really enjoy and want to explore further with Feng Shui is it's relation to art, specifically. When my class has done practice consultations and space clearings, my first instinct is to assess the images on the walls and the sculptural decorative objects filling the space. Chairs, tables, shelves - these things are all functional. It's the decorative aspects, the things people don't need for function or purpose that are real indicators as to what people perceive, want, feel, like, dislike, etc. These objects seem to mirror life in a way. Feng Shui, in a few words, is about making purposeful environmental decisions to reflect/influence your desires and/or life. Along with the basics of good circulation, art seems like the most influential place to start.

Upon my introduction to Feng Shui, I immediately began to incorporate it's principles with my painting. I've been dealing primarily with the concept of using color and elemental symbolism to influence one particular gua or another. Generally, when I hang work, I consider the layout of the entire building and place the paintings according to their most auspicious location based on the bagua. The more I think about Feng Shui Art, and it's application, the more I dream of installation work, and entire interior renovation based not just on decoration, but an artistic internal construction. For example - using water, not just as a fountain, but visibly flowing in and through the entire building or certain rooms.

Realizing this, I asked my Feng Shui master if she thought we could gear my final consultation a little more specifically to my area of focus. She considered it and came up with this plan: instead of a traditional home or office consultation, we would select 3 spaces for me come up with art adjustments for. I requested to visit the places first, so I could come up with sketches, layouts, swatches, material samples, etc. I was granted this request for two spaces, but the third I will need to assess spontaneously and any sketching to communicate my ideas will be done on the spot. I feel compelled to assess large public spaces where a lot of people traffic daily, although the final locations have not been determined.

Now I'm really excited about this! This is an opportunity for me to work 3-dimensionally beyond my wildest possible dreams. I like to paint large canvases and have taken to multiple panels in an effort to expand my end surface area while keeping the canvases workable in my little space. My Feng Shui final offers me the opportunity to work beyond the canvas in ways that never occurred to me previously and in mediums I've never approached like steel, water, and wind??!!!! Cheers, Feng Shui!

2 comments:

  1. totally! I'm gonna take 6 months and treat it like a thesis so I have something really awesome at the end.

    ReplyDelete